Since I first came to Sri Lanka I’ve been in love. Pristine post-card type beaches, with white sand the Indian Ocean. Perfect combo.
Sri lanka is one of the most affordable and best value amongst the exotic island destinations. Especially compared to the thai islands, Maldives and Seychelles. I feel like the island of Ceylon is less flashy but more authentic, catering for all travellers needs.
As I learned the Cinnamon Grand hotel in Colombo is one of the most prestigious hotels, but for a holiday, I would skip the busy capital and stay in a smaller “town” along the coast.
I stayed at the Taj Samudra hotel, located neatly in the centre of Colombo, with amazing greenery surrounding the outside area. At first glance it seems a true 5* facility, but the rooms are quite “tired”, seeking some serious renovation. Trying some of their services (in-room dining and the salon) I would say there’s work to be done to be up to true international standards. As location, it fits perfectly, the sea being just few steps away.
The weather is quite hot all year round, from october to february being the nicest season to fully enjoy the island.
Right now it’s hot and humid, with daily rains. Sitting right to the beach has always been my favourite. Here I am. Right now, with the wind becoming even stronger, the breeze actually brings cold…
It’s time to go back to my lovely Abu Dhabi.
But before I say goodbye, will have a look at what’s on in the bustling capital, where and why should we go in Colombo and the island. My lovely sri lankan colleauge made sure I have all the infos before letting me go.
Shopping (mostly branded clothing with minor faults, straight from the factory)
- Odel, Paradise Road *
- BareFoot, Cotton Collection *
- Dilly’s, Beverly Street
- House of Fashion
- Ceylon Spa @ Park Street Mews (all-year discounts, open 24hrs) *
- Laksala @ CMB 04
Restaurants (from the most authentic well-priced to the most touristy)
- Beach Wadiya @ CMB 06
- Mount Lavinia Beach restaurants
- Seafood Cove (private beach) @ Mount Lavinia Hotel
- Park Street Mews, Union Place *
- 7 degree North @ Cinnamon Grand Hotel
- Lagoon @ Cinnamon Grand Hotel
- Gallery Cafe @ CMB 04
- Tintagel @ CMB 04
- Ministry of Crabs, Dutch Hospital
*- comfortable 1-day itinerary (walking distance from the hotel area)
Out of Colombo
- Beaches: Arugam Bay, Unawatuna, Mirissa, Trincomalee, Hikkaduwa, Beruwela, Bentota, Galle
- Wildlife: Yala, Udawalawe
- Dolphin& whale watching: Unawatuna
- History: Sigiriya, Anuradhapura, Polonnaruwa
- Tea plantations: Nuwara Eliya, Hatton
- Hills and waterfalls: Kandy, Pinnawela (elephant sanctuary)
- Gem mines: Ratnapura
Thank you, Avanti!